Pages

27 January 2012

Chicken Subs

I was hoping to have some video of The Minion Underfoot going ape because there's a cat out on the back deck. Sadly, I broke up the altercation before I realized video of it would be intriguing to share.

Instead, I give to you another recipe I made tonight. Originally, I was going to deem it a Chicken Philly, but then I realized that might lure someone from Philly to claim it wasn't. So I'll simply tell you what I cooked and you decide.

Ingredients
2 boneless chicken breasts, thawed
Adobo seasoning
2 slices mozzarella
1/2 white onion, chopped
1 bell pepper or 3 mini bell peppers, sliced
3/4 cup chicken broth
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 hoagie rolls, cut for sandwich and buttered
Garlic bread powder

Bread


As indicated above, cut the bread for use as a sandwich and butter it. Sprinkle on garlic bread powder. Broil for a minute and a half to 2 minutes, watching to make sure the bread doesn't burn.

Onions and Peppers


Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. When the oil ripples, add the onions and peppers to the skillet. Stir to break apart the onions. Once the oil has mostly been absorbed, pour in the chicken broth. Continue to stir until the broth is completely absorbed. Set aside in a bowl covered with aluminum foil.

Chicken


Dry chicken breasts off with a paper towel and slice them width-wise every inch or so. Sprinkle with Adobo on both sides. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a skillet on medium-high heat. Once again when the oil ripples, add the chicken breasts to the oil. Try to maintain the general shape of the chicken breasts. It'll help with the flipping and also with serving. Cook for 3-5 minutes on both sides. Flip one more time and cover both breasts with mozzarella cheese. When cheese has melted (should happen fast), serve on your hoagie rolls with the onions and peppers.

This, obviously, serves two people (or one very hungry person). There are alternative ways to make the garlic bread, but this was simplest for tonight. As an alternative to mozzarella, I want some day to use savory toasted cheese. Maybe I'll post that recipe in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment